Thursday, March 23, 2006

We Survived Mt. Pinatubo!

My boyfriend told me he saw a special the other night on the eruption of Mt. Pinatubo. I shared my memories with him. Being stuck at Stefani Price's house for a few days...all the ashes...shoveling ashes for hours off Stafani's roof.

The funny thing is, I don't really remember being scared at all. Even when the earthquakes hit and Stefani and I were standing in the doorways waiting for things to subside.

I also remember that day when we evacuated. We boarded the U.S.S. Lincoln to set sail for Guam and then took a plane back to the States.

I'm very thankful to have survived that tragedy. I'm thankful that we had the resources to make it out there alive, unlike many people in New Orleans.
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

3 Comments:

Blogger X said...

Yeah, I remember that Friday night when we were getting the strong earthquakes and tremors and the typhoon passing by at the same time. It felt like Armaggedon and the end of the world. I don't think anybody could sleep that night. And when we finally feel asleep, we only woke up to total darkness no matter what time you woke up. I remember it being high noon that Saturday and it was total pitch dark. I remember looking across the street and all I see were candles lit up at Orlando's house. We didn't see daylight until Sunday morning. And when we finally had a glimpse of outside, everything was covered in ashes. Then we had days of no electricity and water. In fact, neither were restored until days after we were evacuated.

Just a little correction on evacuation. The U.S.S. Lincoln took us from Subic to Cebu...about a 13 hour cruise ride. When we reached the shores of Cebu, we boarded a helicopter which took us to an airfield in Cebu. At the airfield, we were processed and waited for hours for our plane flight and were munching on some MREs. After hours of waiting, we boarded MAC airplanes (mine was a C-141) and it took us to Guam. From Guam, the evacuees had their choice of where to go. Most continued on to the States. As for me, my mom, and my sis, we just stayed with my Auntie and Uncle who lived in Guam.

3/23/2006 6:57 AM  
Blogger Maria Palma said...

Oh, we went to Cebu?? Wow, my memory is pretty fuzzy... I just remember being pretty tired!

~Maria

3/23/2006 7:54 PM  
Blogger X said...

Yep...feeling pretty tired...as well as pretty yucky! With no AC in the middle of summer and no running water for days, there was no way to take a shower. I did take a bath when it rained one time. Afterwards, I thought about it, and thought that it probably wasn't a good idea. All that rain mixed with all that sulfur in the air. I didn't notice anything, but that's cuz the air itself smelled of sulfur. After arriving at the Guam MAC Terminal, I took a shower...they had a shower at the MAC Terminal...how convenient. I guess I could've taken a shower on board the U.S.S. Lincoln but didn't quite know where our luggage was at at the time.

3/23/2006 8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home